Search This Blog

Sunday 2 August 2020

INTERVIEW: Maniac star Megan Duffy on working in the genre


Positively Horror is pleased to bring you this great interview with the brilliant actress, producer and director Megan Duffy. Please enjoy the full interview below.

Please tell us a bit about yourself and your relationship with the genre?

I’m probably most known to the horror community for my role opposite Elijah Wood in the Maniac remake. I also appear in All the Creatures Were Stirring, Holidays, Fun Size Horror, Dread Central’s Monsterland to name a few.

What was your introduction to horror, and at what age?

Probably PBS is fairy tale theater! Shelly Duvall! Omg! I remember being haunted by so many of them, especially “the Little mermaid.” The original tale is much different than the version Disney gave us.

Your role in the Maniac remake is a fan favourite, what drew you to the project and what was the experience like for you?

I normally turn down auditions for roles in horror movies with nudity, but when the audition for maniac came in and I saw that Alexandre Aja was producing, I had been such a big fan of Piranha 3-D that I decided to go in to read for it. At that time Elijah wasn’t attached yet.  The POV style made it extra tricky to shoot, but I’m always up for a challenge. It was hard work for everyone involved and still one of my favorite projects that I’ve been a part of.

What other horror film do you think would make a great remake/reboot?

I sometimes wonder what a new EXORCIST would be like. (For the record, AutoCorrect capitalized the title, not me! )

You have been involved in different genres but you can often be found in horror. What keeps you coming back to the genre? 

wild horror isn’t my main career focus, I really enjoy much of the horror community. Some of my best friends are horror creators and I have received terrific support from the fans.

Who are some of your favourite people working in the genre at the moment?

Everything Jordan Peele touches turns to gold. I spent some time in Nashville in the fall working with Tony Todd on a new film, and he was such a delight who exceeded my (already high expectations). I think the new Candyman is going to blow us away. I also can’t wait to see what Chelsea Stardust does next. She directed a project called Seeing Green that I star in and I got to see first hand that she’s an incredible talent who’s only just beginning to show everyone what she’s capable of.

And are there any other projects you’re involved with that you’d like to talk about?

The film I worked on with Tony is called “The Reenactment. It’s the first feature by filmmaker/director Andrew Ford. It’s set in the 1990s and is about a crime reenactment show film crew who get more than they bargained for while investigating a location. I play Jane, the crew’s producer/director. Tony also stars, as well as the wrestler James Storm. We had an absolute blast filming in Nashville.  I could really go for some hot chicken and whiskey right now! I’ve also gotten into directing recently. I just had a short film I made premiere as part of the Chattanooga film festival, and I am currently rehearsing a (zoom) play I’m directing that will premiere online August 7 starring Tony award winner Daisy Eagan, Star Trek’s Rico Anderson, and Whitton Frank of The Under VR world.

Thank you again to Megan Duffy for the interview. Below are some links to check out:

Embrace your inner monster 
Directed, shot and edited by Megan Duffy:


Music video directed and edited by Megan Duffy:


Short film Seeing Green directed by Chelsea Stardust, starring Megan Duffy:


You can find Megan online at:





No comments:

Post a Comment