Search This Blog

Sunday 26 September 2021

Catch up with Briana Morgan

Positively Horror recently got the chance to catch up with the brilliant horror author and playwright Briana Morgan as she prepares for the release of her latest novel Mouthful of Ashes. Please enjoy the full interview below:

Last time we spoke you were just preparing to release your horror play Unboxed. Firstly, how have you been?

Yes, it’s been a while! I’ve been doing well. For about six months, I couldn’t write anything. I think I stalled out because of the pandemic and burnout in general. Since getting back into writing, I’ve revamped my Patreon, finished writing my adult horror novella Mouth Full of Ashes, and started drafting a new found footage book. I’ve also been writing a lot of short stories.

You released a short story collection since we last spoke called The Tricker Treater and other stories. Could you tell us a bit about that?

It’s a collection of stories featuring the themes of love, loss, betrayal, and sacrifice, among others. I’ve always been intrigued by horrors real and imagined, so the collection contains monsters, ghosts, and humans doing inhuman things.

If you could choose only one story from the collection to be turned into a film, which would it be?

It would be hard to pull off, but I would love to see “The Tricker-Treater” adapted into a film. I designed the monster in that one, the Tricker-Treater, and I’d love to see him on the screen.

You run a Patreon for fans to keep you with your works in progress and have fun film nights amongst other things. What is your experience with getting to interact with fans in this way?

It’s so humbling to have people supporting me and wanting to spend time with me outside of reading my work. I feel I’ve really built a community of like-minded friends and fans, and I’ve seen some genuine friendships blossom among my supporters as well. Creating a Patreon is one of the best things I’ve done as an author.

What else can people expect when joining your Patreon?

When you subscribe to my Patreon, you’ll get access to an exclusive Discord server, movie nights, behind-the-scenes sneak peeks, and more. I’m planning to start streaming video games soon, and once I hit $100/month, I’ll be posting monthly vlogs. 

What is your favourite horror trope?

It’s so hard to choose! I’ve always been a sucker for the final girl, though.

What would you like to see more of in the genre in the future?

More diversity. More disabled protagonists. Less sexual assault and exploitation of women.

You are currently gearing up for the release of Mouthful of Ashes, which is available for pre-order now. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Mouth Full of Ashes is my love letter to The Lost Boys. It’s one of the first vampire movies I ever saw, and it sticks with me as one of my favorite horror films. If you’ve seen The Lost Boys and want something queerer and more modern, this novella is for you.

Here’s an overview:

Mourning the sudden loss of her sister, Callie Danoff wants nothing more than to embrace a fresh start in a new town, leaving the haunting memories of her sister’s death behind. But when her brother Ramsay drags her to a spooky boardwalk, the two become entangled with a local vampire gang and its enigmatic leader, Elijah. Callie refuses to accept their existence... until she and her brother unknowingly ingest vampire blood. Now, they only have three days before they turn into vampires themselves.

With her carefree summer thwarted, Callie must trust a group she barely knows in order to save her family.

And is there anything else that you're currently working on that you can talk a little about? 

I have a story in the upcoming Kandisha Press anthology Slash-Her, and I’m super excited about that. I’ll also be appearing on some podcasts this fall, sharing readings on YouTube, and reviewing books for The Wicked Library. Beyond that, I’m working on a found footage book that I’m looking forward to querying.

Thank you Briana for the great interview. Please check out the pre-order link below to grab your copy of Mouthful of Ashes:


And check out Briana's social media accounts below:


No comments:

Post a Comment