Search This Blog

Saturday 18 April 2020

INTERVIEW: Eve Oliver, star of Mask of Thorn and the upcoming Dear Sister Margaret talks horror.

I recently asked the brilliant actress Eve Oliver some questions about the genre. Please enjoy the full interview below:
Please tell us a bit about yourself and your relationship to the genre?

Hi, I’m Eve, and I’ve been working as a horror actress for around 5 years now - time flies when you’re having fun! From the first time I stepped on set and started working in Independent Horror, I fell in love.  Maybe I’ve just been incredibly lucky with the production companies I work for, but on every project I have worked on, there has been a real, deep sense of team spirit and in a way, family.  I love how all-consuming the work can be, at times - it’s really pushed me outside of my comfort zone and I’ve learnt a lot about myself as a result.   Despite the incredibly rewarding work, I believe it’s been the awesome people that I’ve worked with that have made me go back, time and again for more!  It’s been an amazing journey so far, and I’m very excited to see what happens next!

What was your introduction to horror?

I feel like I kind of ‘fell into’ the genre.  A couple of years after graduating (In “Musical Theatre and Professional Dance” – so the polar opposite to horror!) I was really keen to focus on the film side of my career rather than the dance and choreography (which I had predominantly worked on this since my graduation).  I wanted to look locally, and MJ Dixon’s company ‘Mycho Entertainment’ stood out to me.  They had such a bold, vibrant and unique look to all their films and work, and I followed them for a while and made contact - keen to get involved with them one day.  It was actually MJ who put me in touch with Andy Gilbert, at ‘Hundy Gilbert Media’ where I ended up landing my very first horror / thriller role in a short film ‘Flytrap’ (2016).  It was such a fun shoot, I guess I caught the bug, and started auditioning for anything horror-related I could find! I’ve never looked back either – it’s been so much fun.
                      Still from FLYTRAP

You have become one of the badass heroines of the Mychoverse, what attracted you to the role of Bethany in Mask of Thorn?

Since I came across MJ Dixon’s work, I’d always wanted to work on his films, so I actually applied for a number of roles with Mycho, before I landed the role of Bethany.  I’d seen behind the scenes photos and videos they had posted online, and the atmosphere always looked so positive, and I loved the thought of being a part of that.  I’ve always loved performing, and if I could do what I adore, with such a positive company – I was going to do it!
The actual role of Bethany Lovell was incredibly special to me. Once I had the full script through and I could start to understand the character, I realised that Bethany; this shy, awkward, quiet girl who doesn’t fit in or want to go out and break the rules with her ‘friends’, really resonated with who I was as a 16 year old.  I had a lot of sympathy for her, and I wanted to do her character justice – all too often, characters like her are made the butt of the joke in film or TV, but I had been given this opportunity to portray her, and her awesome character arc to become the Bethany we see towards the end of the film.
                Still from MASK OF THORN

During the lockdown, we’ve been lucky enough to see you do some singing on your social media, is that something you would incorporate into genre roles if you could? Maybe something like Rocky Horror?

OH HELL YES! I adore singing (sorry neighbours) and as I mentioned earlier, my training is in Musical Theatre and Dance, so any opportunity to sing and dance, I’ll jump right in!  Before the lockdown, I actually had a couple of projects in the pipeline which use both the horror genre and singing!  I can’t say too much just yet, but when I have a little more info to share, I’ll be telling you guys all about it – I’m very excited as it will be the first time I get to put those two skill sets together and hopefully create something really cool!

Who are some of your favourite people working in the genre at the moment?

Of course, without a doubt Anna and MJ at Mycho Entertainment (Mask of Thorn), (Slaypril Fools ’82) are an absolute joy to work with.  They have an awesome team around them, and they have made me feel like family since day 1.  Shoots are really hard work, but working with these guys, the time flies and it’s an absolute pleasure to collaborate with them.
Hundy Gilbert were also awesome fun to work with, I worked with them on the film ‘The Edge of Extinction’ and again, the time onset with them flew! I haven’t yet seen that film, so I’m really excited to see how it turns out!
In a broader sense, there are just too many to mention, someone who I love watching their career is Milly Shapiro.  She started out in Musical Theatre, and has moved over to the horror genre and does some really cool stuff!

And are there any projects you’re involved with when the lockdown is lifted that you’d like to talk about?

Yes! A couple of projects coming up… I’m working on a film with Sophie Phillips called ‘Dear Sister Margaret’, in which I’ll be playing the role of Sister Margaret.  We should actually be part way through shooting right now, but of course the shoot has been put on hold!  This is Sophie’s debut feature film as Writer and Director, so I’m really excited to be working with her!
I’ve also been offered a role in the Amazon Prime series ‘Days of the Apocalypse’ Directed by Adam Lezemore.  I acted alongside him in a short film by MKFN last year called ‘Roundabouts’, so I’m really looking forward to working with him again!  The series is free on Prime, so if you can - check it out!
                  Cover of ROUNDABOUTS

THANK YOU AGAIN TO EVE OLIVER FOR ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS. WE LOOK FORWARD TO KEEPING UP WITH YOUR FUTURE PROJECTS. 

FOLLOW THE LINKS BELOW TO SEE SOME OF EVE'S WORK:

FLYTRAP (short film) -  https://youtu.be/41ep6_HPHu8

buy MASK OF THORN here -  https://mycho.weebly.com/mask-of-thorn.html#





No comments:

Post a Comment