Search This Blog

Sunday 26 April 2020

INTERVIEW: Gemma Amor talks White Pines and more!


The latest Positively Horror interview is with the magnificent, Bram Stoker nominated author of Dear Laura, Gemma Amor. Enjoy the full interview below:

First of all, congratulations on your Bram Stoker award nomination for Dear Laura, and good luck. It's a truly brilliant story. Your new book White Pines is out now, would you be able to tell us a little about it? 

Thank you, and sure! It’s a genre-blend of cosmic-folk-cult horror and celtic lore with a little bit of body horror thrown in for good measure, too. It’s quite difficult to describe in too much detail without giving away too much, but it involves a woman called Megs, who moves back to a remote part of Scotland where she lived as a child. There is an island, some spooky trees, and some very strange locals to keep her company. 
  
What was your introduction to horror and at what age?

My earliest introduction to horror would have been the Point Horror young adult series of books, which I found mesmerising, not least for the amazing and very collectible cover designs. They were enormous fun and very accessible. Later, I studied classical literature at university and fell into Shelley and Carter, Stoker and Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I grew very fond of Stephen King in my twenties, a little late to the game, but better late than never. 
  
I discovered your work after seeing many posts about your books on bookstagram. Has this online community helped to grow the fanbase of your work? 

Bookstagram has been invaluable to me as an indie and self-published author. The entire community is so supportive and encouraging, and a vital marketing tool for me to help engage with new readers and old alike. People like Sadie Hartmann (Mother Horror) and the Nightworms crew are half the reason I have a job. But it’s also more than the benefits they offer as book readers and bloggers and grammers- its a genuine family, a community of like minded people I consider friends. It’s helped me to grow as a writer, too.  

Where do you get your inspiration?

Everywhere and anywhere. Movies, books, music, walks in the countryside, paintings, something my son will say, news articles...I see potential in all the little details of life, and try to write about normal things made extraordinary. 

What has the current lockdown situation done for your inspiration?

Lockdown has been absolutely terrible for my inspiration. It’s impossible to write when you feel stuck, trapped, anxious and thoroughly saddened by world events. Plus, schools have been closed so my priorities have changed to surviving and keeping my son happy. Writing has always been easy for me...until now!

Who are some of your favourite people working in the genre at the moment?

Oh man, I don’t think I could choose a few, there is a staggering amount of talent in the horror community at the moment, and so many more brilliant authors, podcasters and film makers out there than I could ever hope to do justice to. I’m going to show my love and support for the entire writing community, particularly my horror family from twitter and instagram. I also need to share my deep and abiding love for the horror podcasting community, including the incredible cast and crew of the NoSleep Podcast, who do amazing things for the horror community and you really should listen if you haven’t already. If we’re talking mainstream authors, I’m all in for everything Jeff VanderMeer writes, which isn’t really horror, but I try not to limit myself to a single genre if I can help it. I read widely and don’t really discriminate. 

And are there any projects you're involved with when the lockdown is lifted that you'd like to talk about?

I do have a few projects on the burner that I can’t really talk about, but as a largely self-motivated and self-published author I can tell you about the two new books I hope to bring out shortly: Girl on Fire, a novella based on my short story of the same name, about a woman called Ruby Miller who is more of an anti than a hero, and City in Ruins, which is another short novel that I can’t really define beyond post-war-mystery, as I haven’t finished it yet, but hope to soon! I also have tons of short stories in development and lots of other bits to keep me busy. But like I said, lockdown isn’t too conducive to productivity, so I’ll keep plugging on the best I can and hope that this madness eases off soon, so I can get back to what I love- creating things for other people to enjoy. 

Thanks again to Gemma Amor for participating in the Positively Horror interview.

Follow the link below to check out Gemma's books:
https://www.amazon.com/Gemma-Amor/e/B07DNGYLNV%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

No comments:

Post a Comment