Search This Blog

Sunday 28 February 2021

Anna Dixon on working in different areas of horror and WiHM



Positively Horror recently got the chance to ask the amazing Anna Dixon some questions about her work in the genre. Please enjoy the full interview below. 

Please tell us a bit about yourself and your relationship with the genre?

I’m Anna Dixon, I’m producer, AD, coffee runner (delete as applicable) at Mycho Entertainment. We make short and feature length indie horror films and are coming up on our tenth feature.

What was your introduction to horror, and at what age? 

Being the youngest of three, I used to sneak downstairs to watch things my older sisters were watching sometimes. I have a very vivid memory of peeking through the living room door at the original Child’s Play and being absolutely terrified. I guess that would’ve been around 1990ish so I would’ve been around 7 years old. I couldn't watch anything like that again for years and I think the next time was Scream at the cinema (when I was definitely too young to be in there!) and that had me hooked.

You have an impressive credits list on IMDB as a producer, what drew you to the producer role? 

Thank you, I’ve been really lucky! I befriended MJ on the mean streets of Preston about 12 years ago (blimey!) and I helped out on a couple of things he was doing; mainly building props, being someone in the background, holding a light, etc. It was a lot of fun and I wanted to do lots more! MJ had shot Slasher House not long before and was looking for someone to help with the post-production producer stuff, so I stepped into that role and the rest is history.

You held the MYCon festival last year, with lots of exciting announcements made for the future of Mycho. Are there any particular projects you're eager to jump into?

That was so much fun and such bitter-sweet memories now, as that was the last time the CleaverS cast were gathered together. We then very sadly lost the amazing and talented Paul Rogers who plays the main man to this awful virus last year. It’s left a huge hole in our personal and professional lives. There’s lots to be excited for, but I will always wish he was there with us for the ride.

It's currently women in horror month, how do you feel the role of women has changed in the genre over recent years both in front of, and behind the camera? Do you feel that the online horror community has helped to garner more inclusiveness with things like women in horror month? 

I always think that horror is a much more inclusive and progressive genre than any other I have worked in and seems ahead of the curve in recognising the need for diversity in the creators as well as the creations. I think there are loads more female voices now, telling stories from a female perspective and the range of characters has grown and changed over the years so that women can now be the heroes, the villains, the cowards and everything in between. The horror community is such a supportive and uplifting one and is great at celebrating inclusiveness, and long may it continue.

As a woman working in the genre, what would you like to see for the future of horror?

At the moment, I’d just like to get back to making some horror with all our favourite people, late, cold nights and cheap coffee in an insubstantial plastic cup now look so much more attractive. In the longer term, I’d love to see more equitable distribution models that allow indie horror creators (films, books, or any other medium) to earn a more reliable income.

Who are some of your favourite people working in the genre at the moment? 

There are way too many to name and I’ll definitely forget people and never forgive myself. I am very much enjoying the true crime meets horror movie podcast me and Queen Eve (Oliver) are doing right now and we have some plans to move into producing horror shorts and features inspired by true crime events together under the Reel Horror brand, so watch this space.

And are there any other projects you're involved with that you'd like to talk about?

Everything is a little bit in flux due to this pandemic I keep hearing about, but we’re hopefully heading into production on Slasher House 3, Strawmen and Wrath of Thorn just as soon as we can. I’m also writing my first feature, White Night, (with a lot of help from my live-in expert) and I’m pretty excited about that. And we have an anthology feature in the works called HorrorScopes based on astrological signs and we’re chatting with some really talented and exciting contributors on that one.

Thanks so much for thinking of me for this 😊

Thank you again to Anna for the great interview. To learn more and to get all the great Mycho releases just follow the links below:

https://mycho.weebly.com/

https://www.patreon.com/mycho 

And to give to FAST (foundation for angelman's syndrome theraputics) click here: 

 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/anna-dixon5?fbclid=IwAR3QG6U1qD73qDRRbpUT_29E9STywJ9dmmdrbTiyRYrUX_T4TTI1AFmCly4 


No comments:

Post a Comment