Search This Blog

Sunday 7 February 2021

Zetkin Yikilmis on Planet Zee and WiHM

 


Positively horror recently got the chance to see the upcoming film Planet Zee from Zektin Yikilmis, and ask her some questions about it. Please enjoy the full interview below. 

Please tell us a bit about yourself and your relationship with the genre?

I am born as a daughter of a turkish migrant family in germany. In horror I found more than a trigger for the fears and rage I felt growing inside me, while I was coming of age in a racist and sexist society as migrant and female. 

I think the horror genre is very progressive and a good means to express social issues, political and social anger and even a good canvas for revolutionary ideas, all that with fun, distance and a strong imagery. I think pain, suffering and violence are things every human reacts to immediately. To use the effective impact of force in a safe area without hurting or harming people, just creating a notion of distress in pictures is in my opinion the best way holding a mirror to society as it is and to address problems.

What was your introduction to horror, and at what age? 

Event Horizon when I was 11.

Your upcoming film 'Planet Zee' was filmed during lockdown, what were some of the difficulties of putting a film together during a lockdown, and what do you feel were the benefits of making a film this way? 

Planet Zee was post produced during lockdown - I was sitting in a room and editing and doing all the stuff without being dissed for not going out, because it was lockdown anyway. 

I am now planning to shoot my third feature in a couple of weeks. For me it is no different, I just try to keep safety standards - but since I do a lot of stuff by myself we have just a few people on set (Somtimes just me and my husband) so it's no big difference.

It's currently women in horror month, how do you feel the role of women has changed in the genre over recent years both in front of, and behind the camera? 

I think the horror genre was in it's traditions and theory very emancipatory, but like it is in the practice, sometimes you need to stand up and kick ass to bring the theory to life in its fullest sense. And a lot of female artists are doing that and fighting to do that! I think to say there are patriarchal structures holding women down in all spheres of society is not wrong. We have to break them chains and keep marching forward to bring a fully emancipated world in to being not just in film and art in general, but in all spheres of society.

Do you feel that the online horror community has helped to garner more inclusiveness with things like women in horror month? 

It's a beginning but there has to be done more.

As a woman working in the genre, what would you like to see for the future of horror? 

More independent projects from progressive filmmakers - I don't care about budget, production value or technical skills, for me it's the quality of the story that counts.

Who are some of your favourite people working in the genre at the moment?

I have some favourite directors and some favourite actors, but my heart is with everybody working his ass off, producing no budget films by putting all their creative power into that process. I know how hard it is to follow your dream trying to create your art.

And are there any other projects you're involved with that you'd like to talk about? 

My next flick I'll start shooting very soon: "Pink Rabbit" is a modern fable of a social and psychological sisyphus story, reflecting the struggle of being female and mother in today's society in a bloody way. It will be deeper and darker than all my other projects, with more psychological depth and a lot more blood. Stay in touch!

Thank you again to Yetkin for the interview. Planet Zee will be released from Darkside releasing at the link below:


No comments:

Post a Comment